We all spend a lot of time in our homes, and never really think about how important it is to have clean air for us to breathe. Many individuals don’t notice the quality of the air inside their homes until they have been away for a few days. When opening the front door of the home, the poor-quality of the air is noticeable in a variety of ways. Here are some of the signs of having problems with the air in your home:
• Foul odors
• Dusty air
• Allergy symptoms
• High humidity level
• Dry air
You already know that a leaky roof or pipes can lead to moisture damage in a building, but high humidity levels are also dangerous. While you may feel the effects from high humidity in a building, the moisture in the hidden areas of the home or business is the real problem. Here are some of the problems associated with high humidity in a building.
Carpet cleaning is an essential part of keeping your home clean. You need to have your carpet cleaned a few times a year. There are many benefits that can be reaped from carpet cleaning. Your carpet can easily attract pet dander, dust and dirt fragments. The only way to thoroughly clean your carpet is to have it cleaned by a professional. When you vacuum your carpet, you only remove dirt and dander from the surface while leaving all the stains and odors behind. Carpet cleaners not only remove dust and dirt, but they can also remove bacteria and stains.
One of the first indicators that a home has an infestation of mold and mildew is the detection of the smell associated with their presence. The single greatest mistake a homeowner can make is to ignore the smell, and just hope it will go away on its own. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce the smell of mold and eliminate the dangers associated with it, which will ensure a home not only smells pleasant but is free from airborne mold spores.
The greatest contributing factor for any mold or mildew activity is water, as it will help feed the growth and allow it to spread rapidly. The underground location of basements makes them a breeding ground for mold and mildew, due in part to the excess moisture that is present in the air. A dehumidifier can remove the excess moisture, which can help to reduce the odor associated with mold and mildew and ensure the air is clean and healthy to breathe. More extreme infestations may require the use of a commercial dehumidifier, which will also use heat to make sure that the air in a space is dry.
Water damage in your home can be stressful, especially if you can’t spot the source of the mess. How do you know your house is water damaged? Usually, unpleasant odors emanate from stagnating water somewhere in your house. Stains on walls and ceilings are other indicators of water damage.
In extreme cases, visible signs of mold growth indicate excess moisture penetration on walls, floors, and ceilings. On walls affected by water, paint peels off as a result of free water inside the walls. Here are seven possible causes of water damage your home.
Finding mold in moist areas of your home can be an unsettling experience. The presence of mold essentially means that water accumulated behind a wall or on a surface and was never dried out properly. This is why it’s important to have proper air circulation channels in rooms such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundry areas, where lots of water is being used every day.
Not all mold is toxic to humans, however, and some of it can be eliminated yourself. Other types require the services of a professional, especially if the mold has spread. What follows is a summary of the different types of mold and places where it tends to build up.
Imagine! Waking up to the sound of a busted water pipe. You’re snatched out of a wonderful dream. You stumble around like a zombie trying to find the shut off valve to the water system. You’re still not fully awake, so you go for your morning shower to bring life back into your anatomy. That’s when your brain conceives the realization that you now have no water! To make matters worse, you can’t make coffee! That’s when that bolt of lightning hits you, and you think back to when you first knew about the unwrapped pipes. It was a small problem at first, but it’s the small problems that can lead to the overwhelming disaster that can ruin a person’s day. Read More
When your home is damaged by a flood or from a broken plumbing fixture, the water can create a lot of damage quickly. In order to remove the moisture from a home, you need to hire a professional cleanup team. The experts who understand water damage cleaning have the proper tools and cleansers to remove moisture that contains pathogens. Working around the slippery surfaces in a flooded home is dangerous for amateurs who don’t have the proper safety equipment. After a flood occurs in a home, it is also likely that there is no electricity in the building, but a remediation company can provide a generator so that technicians can operate extraction machines and sump pumps.
After a flood of water recedes from your home, you are left with a huge mess of mud, sewage and moisture on floors, walls and ceilings. However, the first thing that a remediation team must do is remove the remaining standing water from the lower level of your home. The lowest level is usually a basement, and if water is not removed quickly, then the moisture will destroy your home’s foundation. In addition, the water will continue to creep upward, damaging your home’s insulation layers and electrical wiring. Technicians must install a sump pump to suction the standing water from the lower levels of your home, and the water that is collected is taken to an off-site location.
While these two words are often used interchangeably, and although they are in the same family (fungi), mildew and mold are actually quite different. They do have some commonalities however. Mold and mildew both have a liking for moist, warm and poorly ventilated areas where they are best able to thrive. Mold usually appears to be more rigid and resistant to removal while mildew appears to be less resistive. Read More
Although most types of mold are benign and are innocuous to your health, some can cause great harm with prolonged exposure. You can actually use your health symptoms to discover mold if you pay close enough attention, and people who have a mold allergy are much more sensitive to the mycotoxins in the mold. In extreme cases, people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may even develop mold infections in their lungs. Read More