One of the first indicators that a home has an infestation of mold and mildew is the detection of the smell associated with their presence. The single greatest mistake a homeowner can make is to ignore the smell, and just hope it will go away on its own. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce the smell of mold and eliminate the dangers associated with it, which will ensure a home not only smells pleasant but is free from airborne mold spores.
The greatest contributing factor for any mold or mildew activity is water, as it will help feed the growth and allow it to spread rapidly. The underground location of basements makes them a breeding ground for mold and mildew, due in part to the excess moisture that is present in the air. A dehumidifier can remove the excess moisture, which can help to reduce the odor associated with mold and mildew and ensure the air is clean and healthy to breathe. More extreme infestations may require the use of a commercial dehumidifier, which will also use heat to make sure that the air in a space is dry.