Water damage in your home can be stressful, especially if you can’t spot the source of the mess. How do you know your house is water damaged? Usually, unpleasant odors emanate from stagnating water somewhere in your house. Stains on walls and ceilings are other indicators of water damage.
In extreme cases, visible signs of mold growth indicate excess moisture penetration on walls, floors, and ceilings. On walls affected by water, paint peels off as a result of free water inside the walls. Here are seven possible causes of water damage your home.
Finding mold in moist areas of your home can be an unsettling experience. The presence of mold essentially means that water accumulated behind a wall or on a surface and was never dried out properly. This is why it’s important to have proper air circulation channels in rooms such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundry areas, where lots of water is being used every day.
Not all mold is toxic to humans, however, and some of it can be eliminated yourself. Other types require the services of a professional, especially if the mold has spread. What follows is a summary of the different types of mold and places where it tends to build up.
Imagine! Waking up to the sound of a busted water pipe. You’re snatched out of a wonderful dream. You stumble around like a zombie trying to find the shut off valve to the water system. You’re still not fully awake, so you go for your morning shower to bring life back into your anatomy. That’s when your brain conceives the realization that you now have no water! To make matters worse, you can’t make coffee! That’s when that bolt of lightning hits you, and you think back to when you first knew about the unwrapped pipes. It was a small problem at first, but it’s the small problems that can lead to the overwhelming disaster that can ruin a person’s day. Read More
When your home is damaged by a flood or from a broken plumbing fixture, the water can create a lot of damage quickly. In order to remove the moisture from a home, you need to hire a professional cleanup team. The experts who understand water damage cleaning have the proper tools and cleansers to remove moisture that contains pathogens. Working around the slippery surfaces in a flooded home is dangerous for amateurs who don’t have the proper safety equipment. After a flood occurs in a home, it is also likely that there is no electricity in the building, but a remediation company can provide a generator so that technicians can operate extraction machines and sump pumps.
After a flood of water recedes from your home, you are left with a huge mess of mud, sewage and moisture on floors, walls and ceilings. However, the first thing that a remediation team must do is remove the remaining standing water from the lower level of your home. The lowest level is usually a basement, and if water is not removed quickly, then the moisture will destroy your home’s foundation. In addition, the water will continue to creep upward, damaging your home’s insulation layers and electrical wiring. Technicians must install a sump pump to suction the standing water from the lower levels of your home, and the water that is collected is taken to an off-site location.
While these two words are often used interchangeably, and although they are in the same family (fungi), mildew and mold are actually quite different. They do have some commonalities however. Mold and mildew both have a liking for moist, warm and poorly ventilated areas where they are best able to thrive. Mold usually appears to be more rigid and resistant to removal while mildew appears to be less resistive. Read More
Although most types of mold are benign and are innocuous to your health, some can cause great harm with prolonged exposure. You can actually use your health symptoms to discover mold if you pay close enough attention, and people who have a mold allergy are much more sensitive to the mycotoxins in the mold. In extreme cases, people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may even develop mold infections in their lungs. Read More
Do you have excess moisture in your home? Was there a plumbing leak or sewage backup? Is your health suffering, such as hay-fever symptoms, dermatitis, or more frequent asthma attacks? You could very well have mold in your house. Hiring a professional mold removal service is the best way to go. Read More
Mold is typically a problem that affects new homes that are not inspected properly and homes that have not been maintained well over time. While in many cases, mold is not dangerous and just needs to be removed by a professional, there are types of molds that are particularly hazardous for you and your family that can be tested by an Industrial Hygienist. Below are five of the most common signs of mold. If you find that there is mold in your home, call a professional mold specialist for the removal and if you wish for the mold to be tested please call an Industrial Hygienist. Read More
Have you ever been in the kitchen cooking and things in your home decide to go insane? The kids could start fighting, a spouse may call for help, or an animal gets itself trapped somewhere in the house? These things may tempt a reasonable person out of the kitchen. But, if you want to keep your family and house safe, turn off the stove before you leave the room. Kitchen fires happen quickly and are the cause for most house fires. Precautions will keep one from happening to you. Read More
No one wants to think about it until it is too late. Preparing for a disaster is not an easy task but it will make it easier on the entire house hold if you get ready for it beforehand. On the news you see floods, wildfire, riots, sinkholes and a wide range of events that are terrifying if imagine your family in the midst of one. Read More